Myrtle Beach, SC is not only a popular family beach escape, but during the months of November and December it also becomes one of the east coast’s top Holiday vacation destinations. This time of year brings a lot to see and do along the Grand Strand, so here are some of our favorites, including popular attractions as well as some hidden gems, that will help you discover the magic on your Myrtle Beach Holiday getaway.
Myrtle Beach hosts many theatres featuring award-winning live performances throughout the year. During the holiday season, these popular attractions transform in to amazing wonderlands of sight and sound.
- Celebrating over 30 years of holiday tradition, The Carolina Opry Christmas Special is brimming with music, comedy, and dance. Each year the show mixes up new changes with time-honored traditions that the entire family will enjoy. A popular feature of the show includes stars of NBC’s America’s Got Talent, the “All That” clogging group which heats up the stage year after year. Known as “The Holiday Show of the South,” it is consistently at the top of Myrtle Beach Holiday must-see lists. Plus, the theatre lobby itself is a sight to behold with 35 Christmas trees, 75 wreaths, and over five miles of light strands! The Carolina Opry Christmas Special includes performances during both November and December.
- Voted Myrtle Beach’s #1 Holiday Show, the Alabama Theatre presents “The South’s Grandest Christmas Show”. Ever year their Christmas extravaganza combines talent, comedy, scenery and special effects to produce a spectacular holiday musical experience. The South’s Grandest Christmas Show is a southern family tradition on the Grand Strand for visitors and locals alike.
- If you are looking for an exciting new twist on an old classic, then the Pirates Voyage Christmas Show is sure to please. This family friendly dinner show takes guests on a voyage with Captain Scrooge and the mystical Spirit of Christmas as they travel to the past, through the present, and into the future of Buccaneer Bay. Watch in awe as Christmas toys come to life before their eyes, performing amazing acrobatics high overhead. The event is topped off with a delicious four-course holiday feast during the show. Come early to enjoy a live Nativity with wise men and live animals in the lobby. This popular attraction is a huge hit with the kids!
Festive Holiday Displays
One of the most electrifying aspects of the Holiday season is the many twinkling lights and festivities found throughout town. Many brilliant displays can be seen simply by driving around, however the Grand Strand features some pretty grand Christmas light shows that are sure to brighten up any Christmas spirit.
- Nights Of A Thousand Candles begins near dusk on each weekend in December, leading up to the Christmas holiday, at Brookgreen Gardens in Murrell’s Inlet. Stroll amid the soft glow of more than 5,500 hand-lit candles and countless sparkling lights. Walk the paths with a warm cup of cider, hear the sounds of hand bells ringing, carolers singing, and celebrate the season with family and friends. This annual event is one of the best in the area and will truly fill you with the spirit of the holidays. Pro tip: Be sure to arrive early as the line of guests waiting to enter this popular event can often become quite long after sundown.
- At first, a visit to the aquarium may not be considered as a classic holiday tradition, but you can expect that to change! Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach puts on their annual Festival Of Trees exhibit to rave reviews every year. Bring your family to see a huge display of over 75 themed Christmas trees, including one representing each state, Mardi Gras, Las Vegas and more. Families can take part in a scavenger hunt to find hidden decorations throughout the displays! Plus, your admission includes full access to the popular aquarium featuring a wide assortment of marine life to marvel at including sharks, stingrays, fish, and more.
- In North Myrtle Beach, The Great Christmas Light Show features over 1.7 million lights among more than 400 custom displays, some up to 70 feet tall, along a 1.5 mile drive through the North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex. After your drive, visit Santa’s Village and get your photo taken with the Big Man himself, visit the petting zoo, enjoy a cup of hot cocoa, go ice skating, and more. The more adventurous can even take on a festive ropes course and zip line overlooking the light displays!
Finding That Perfect Gift
There is absolutely no shortage of great shopping along the Grand Strand. Whether you are looking for the hottest gift of the season, or something more unique, you can start checking off your list at these great locations.
- Broadway at the Beach touts itself as the largest tourist destination in the Myrtle Beach area, and with good reason. This large outdoor plaza is a sight to behold with its many shops, restaurants, games, and attractions all surrounding a central man-made lake. Don’t be surprised if you end up spending an entire day taking in everything this entertainment hub has to offer.
- If you are looking for something one-of-a-kind, be sure to stop in at The Hammock Shops in Pawley’s Island. This outdoor shopping area showcases handcrafted wares by local vendors including candy, wine, bird houses, custom hammocks, and more. While you are shopping, be sure to stop in and watch a live demonstration at the Hammock Weaver’s Pavilion.
- Outlet shoppers rejoice! The Myrtle Beach boasts not only one, but two Tanger Outlets locations. Featuring top national brands at discount prices, these popular outdoor shopping areas are a haven for bargain hunters.
These top Myrtle Beach attractions are sure to light the Holiday spirit in any vacation, however the true magic is enjoying it all with those closest to you. Oceana Resorts by Wyndham Vacation Rentals offers a wide variety of spacious oceanfront rentals featuring comforts of home like multiple bedrooms, fully equipped kitchens, and large living areas perfect for friends and family to enjoy a hot cup of cocoa after a long day on the strand.
Oceana Resorts by Wyndham Vacation Rentals® does not make any representations regarding the availability of or endorse any of the products, services or activities provided by third parties.