For some, refund season may be a blessing; for others, it may seem like a burden. Whether or not you are one of the estimated 80% of Americans that receives a tax refund after April, we can all agree that filing taxes is not fun and the pressure of hitting the April deadline is stressful. Luckily, the weather is warming up, tax season will soon be behind us, and you deserve a vacation. So gather the family, cash that check, and head to Myrtle Beach with my 6 tips to help you stretch the most fun out of your tax refund.
- Stay at an oceanfront resortIt may seem obvious, but the absolute highlight of visiting Myrtle Beach is, of course, the beach. Do not underestimate the value and convenience of having the Atlantic Ocean only steps away from your resort. The gorgeous sunny shores and soft sand is the area’s best free attraction. I find that the easier it is for me to access the beach, the more time I spend having fun out in the sun instead of spending money in town. Just make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen.
- Choose an “Ocean View” rental
It is important to note the difference between Oceanfront and Ocean View when choosing your accommodations as it could mean significant savings for your family. An “Oceanfront” room has at least one balcony that directly faces the Atlantic Ocean. However, a comparable “Ocean View” room will not directly face the ocean, but will often still have an impressive view at a lower rate. It will be up to personal preference to determine how much of a deal breaker your view is, but for my money, I find that an Ocean View room offers more than enough to satisfy my craving for that cool ocean breeze.
- Prepare your own meals and limit spending at restaurantsEating at new and different restaurants is an exciting part of any vacation, and Myrtle Beach has more than a few great restaurants from which to choose. However, booking a fully equipped efficiency or suite and taking a few moments to develop a grocery list before you travel will make a huge difference on your overall expenses. Look for rentals that have a kitchen and come equipped with everything you need to prepare meals for your family including cookware, dishes and utensils. Personally, enjoying a fresh hand-made sandwich for lunch while relaxing on the beach is something I look forward to most while on vacation, and then using the money I saved, and my Oceana Privileges Card discount, toward one amazing evening of all-you-can-eat crab legs makes the meal just that much more special!
- Take advantage of on-site amenitiesLook for a resort that offers your family more than just a bed to sleep in. Fun water amenities including pools and lazy rivers are a must, but many resorts also feature other ways to maximize your time. Select Oceana Resorts properties feature a full weekly schedule of family friendly on-site activities during the months of June, July, and August. Most activities offered are completely free and are a great way to spend the afternoon. One of our favorites is the sand castle competition, even though we always come in second place.
- Cash in on free perksGuests of any Oceana Resorts managed property receive free day time play at Lost Mine Miniature Golf, and an exclusive Oceana Privileges Card that provides special discounts at an ever growing list of over 100 area stores, restaurants, and attractions.
- Always look for seasonal specialsDepending on when you plan to travel, there are almost always special discounts and package deals to be found at many Myrtle Beach resorts. The less you pay for your rental, the more spending cash you have for fun and entertainment. No brainer, right? Be sure to visit the Oceana Resorts specials page to view all of the money saving seasonal offers currently available and start planning your Myrtle Beach Tax Re-Fun vacation today!